Saturday, October 6, 2012

This Week's Menu Sept 30 - Oct 6

At the beginning of the week, usually Sunday or Monday, I try to meal plan for the week. This just makes me saner, saves time and money. I am more likely to stick to a shopping list if I have a menu plan. Let's face it, with all of the non-traditional, organic items we have to purchase I can use all the money saving I can get. I also get a box of organic produce delivered on Monday mornings. I try to meal plan around its content, if I can.

I will make a big salad on Monday to have on hand as an extra option during the week. I usually eat this for lunch most days. I try to do soup once a week with leftovers or random veggies I have on hand. My family also gets a kick out of "breakfast for dinner" about once a week as well.

SUNDAY
This is a basic thrown together meal that I make a lot.

3 Salmon Filets lightly dusted with garlic powder, ginger, onion powder, salt and pepper. Baked at 375° for 20 - 25 minutes until cooked (internal temp of 145°)
Steamed Broccoli
Buckwheat with sauteed onion and garlic.
Buckwheat is one of our go to grains. I always have it on hand. It cooks up similar to rice and is hearty and healthy. It is gluten free and one of the items my husband can eat. We use it in place of rice and noodles in a lot of dishes.
The girls split a salmon filet or DH takes it to work in his lunch the next day.



MONDAY
Baked Italian Chicken Sausage
I get the sausage in the meat department of our local grocery store or at Whole Foods.
Baked Red Skin Potatoes tossed in olive oil with paprika, rosemary, garlic and salt,
Edamame (for the girls) and Salad (for the grown ups.)

TUESDAY
I had a rough night with the baby. And, thanks to the full moon, my oldest was in full on melt down mode after school. Lack of sleep and patience called for take out. I fed the kids left over mexican rice, mixed vegetables and hot dogs. I try to make healthy food, but it doesn't always work out. I have learned to pick my battles when it comes to food, time and sanity. My menu called for Pablano Chicken, Quinoa, Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots. Instead we had Thai food.



WEDNESDAY
Pablano Chicken, Mexican Buckwheat, Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots.
The chicken recipe is a Martha Stewart recipe that we love. I have altered it to suit our family. I use 1-2 peppers depending on the size, and use 1/2  cup of Coconut Milk instead of the cream. This time I baked the chicken because I had the oven on to roast the veggies. Sometimes we grill or saute it, depends on the weather and my mood.



THURSDAY
Breakfast Dinner!
Buckwheat Pancakes, Bacon (Hormel All Natural, it's nitrate & sugar free), Bananas, and Blueberries.
The pancakes are great, the whole family loves these and usually there aren't any left over.
1 cup Buckwheat flour, 2 tsp. Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1 cup Milk, 2 TBSP Safflower oil, 3 TBSP of Apple Sauce, 1/2 tsp. Vanilla, 1 tsp Cinnamon. Mix all ingredients together with a whisk, cook on skillet like regular pancakes.

FRIDAY
Baked Lean Cut Pork Loin dusted with garlic, salt, and pepper. Quinoa with thyme and garlic with salad for the grown ups and red kidney beans for the kids.

SATURDAY
Saturdays are usually a leftover or spaghetti night, something low key so I can have a break from the kitchen.






No comments: