Friday, January 25, 2013

Valentine's Cookies

Long time no post. It has been a while since I have had a moment to sit down and actually write a good post. We moved to a new house and it has taken a while for me to get used to the new kitchen, get unpacked and get into a routine again. Once I had gotten into a groove, we were busy with Christmas and holiday events. Then we had the January Plague. By that I mean we were sick ALL of January. Ick.

Now all is well in our home. Back to normal, back to writing menus and trying to keep to our new budget. Which brings me to this small post.

These are my mom's sugar cookies. As a kid we would make these cookies every year at Christmas while my dad and uncle put up our huge Christmas tree. This recipe is a great recipe for roll out cookies and easily doable for any holiday. I make these with my girls and they love them. They have a shortbread/sugar cookie flavor and take me back to my childhood. We will make a heart shaped version for Valentine's Day as well.
My aunt gave me this recipe card that my mother wrote out for her. It is one of my cherished items. This is my altered version of mom's cookies...

Preheat oven to 400°
3/4 Cup Earth Balance Butter
1 Cup Sugar
Flax Egg Substitute (for two eggs - mix 2 TBSP Ground Flax Seed and 6 TBSP of Cold Water with a stick blender until frothy and thick)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Power

Cream the Earth Balance Butter, Sugar and Flax mixture. Add Vanilla. Then blend in the dry ingredients. Wrap in plastic or wax paper and chill for 1 hour.

Roll out and cut with cookie cutters or you could make a pinwheel with food coloring like we did in this picture.

Bake for 6-8 minutes and enjoy!

This is not something that my husband can have. I am working on finding a recipe that I can alter for him to enjoy. But this is a tradition I really want to share with my girls.




No comments: